Long Beach Island, better known as LBI, is a barrier island linked to the NewJersey mainland by a single bridge. Just half a mile wide, and 18 miles long, LBI is home to Barnegat Lighthouse at the northern end, and Holgate Bird Sanctuary at the southern end. In between lie six waterfront townships catering to lovers of sea and sun.
Long Beach Island has been continuously settled since 1690 and had its first boarding house, owned by Robert Tucker, in 1765. Tourism grew as transportation expanded. A number of charming, historic Victorian homes remain in the town of Beach Haven, including the elegant Williams Cottage Inn.
Today LBI retains its character as a tranquil seaside retreat
with miles of beach, boating, fishing, and fresh seafood.
Long Beach Island was recently voted #1 as the best family vacation spot. As well in May of 2009, the Marine Science Consortium presented a second award for being voted #2 in the state for Top Ten Beaches.
Certainly, this is the perfect place to stroll on the beach, bike, jog, read, explore. Sunrise on the ocean, sunset on the bay, refreshing sea breezes and pure relaxation are just a small part of the Long Beach Island tradition.
Long Beach Island Attractions
- Long Beach Island website: Long Beach Island web site
- Ocean County Chamber of Commerce website: www.discoversouthernocean.com
- Sailing: http://www.sailingnj.com/cruises.html - Experience the beauty of Barnegat Bay under sail. Relax and enjoy a carefree cruise aboard 30' sailboat.
- http://www.captmikesmarina.com/ - Kayaking in one of South Jersey's most beautiful hidden treasures. Enjoy winding sheltered creeks, spectacular birds, partial beaches, and the contiguous salt marshes which lay refuge to thousands of fascinating species and habits. Located in nearby Tuckerton.
- http://www.biplaneridesovernjb.com/~ BiPlane Rides offering the adventure of a lifetime. Sight Seeing Tours~Sunrise/Sunset Tours~Beach Tours~Aerobatic Rides~Gift Certificates
- http://www.jerseyboardwalk.com/barney.html - the 2nd tallest lighthouse in the United States. This lighthouse is the quintessential symbol of the Jersey shore, and is a special license plate in NJ.
- http://ahscares.org/page2.asp?page=popcornpark&style=2 - Experience the Popcorn Park Zoo, Located in Forked River, visit this amazing sanctuary for abandoned, ill, injured, exploited, abused or elderly wildlife, exotic, farm animals and birds. Thousands of animals are cared for annually. The Associated Human Society's devotion's dedication truly gives these animals a better life.
- http://www.batstovillage.org/ - Experience two centuries of American History in Batsto Village~a NJ historic site.
- www.HutsLandscaping.com ~ "The Hut" ~ when only "The Best" will do for all of your landscaping and home improvement needs.
- www.DCWhitcraft.com - Wedding & Civil Service Officiant~Member of the National Assn. of Wedding Officiants~Mayor Emeritus
- Museum Of New Jersey Maritime History Dock Rd & West Ave. Beach Haven,N.J. 609-492-0202, *Open Year Round* - Hours *September thru May: Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun: 10am-4pm* June-July-August: Daily 10am-7pm - Don't miss this amazing museum located in Beach Haven!
- http://www.fws.gov/northeast/forsythe/ - Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge~ Features an 8 mile loop perfect for viewing thousands of wildlife species while on bicycle or in your car!
- Amusements Guide
- Beach Haven Then & Now
- Alliance for Wellness Holistic Center
- http://www.transportazumah.com/TAZ10 - transportation to LBI from New York City (Summer season only)
In May the Marine Science Consortium presented
2009 Top Ten New Jersey Beach awards:
Long Beach Island voted #1 Best Family Vacation Spot
and LBI was voted #2 of the Top Ten Beaches of NJ